We ride the last Friday of every month all year round. Meet at confederation park (elgin and laurier) at 5:30, ride leaves at 6pm!

This is a team blog. To join the team (and get access to post and/or administer the site), email criticalmassottawa@gmail.com

Saturday, December 31, 2005

December Mass

This month we were four riders strong! The procession began at Confederation Park and I joined the riders on Elgin St. We rode two by two and took up the whole of a one-way street for about two blocks until we decided to get onto O'Connor St. and get honked at while riding one by one on the side of the road by cars. A good critical mass bike ride was in order. I started singing Frosty the Snowman but I forgot the words and my voice sort of trailed off. I started thinking how much I had been looking forward to another Critical Mass after the large group ride we had in November. The four of us spent the young night comparing reflective wear and blinky lights and then we each drank a couple pints. Rob certainly had the most visibility to other riders and cars with his plethora of lights and reflective tape. Then we made stops at our respective houses and got a bunch of food together. We rode to Mooney's Bay to Mitch's house and made a gigantic pot of chili with cheese and chips.
In the morning we discussed bikes and biking. Gwen suggested flyering bike handlebars with handbills for the January Mass. I have a poster at home that I need to tweak and mass produce for raising awareness of the ride. I also had some thoughts about what I planned to do as a member of the Bike Collective.
I was wondering why the turnout for Dec Crit Mass was so small. People were probably out of town, maybe some were busy with other plans or with family, and maybe some people were uninterested in coming out to another mass... maybe they were disappointed with some of the kinks in the previous ride? I hope that the next mass will be a "critical mass" and not just four hopeful bikers decked out in reflective garments eating chili. I was proud of the turnout and engergy of the November ride, I was looking forward to new chants, I was hoping for bike advocacy strategy and events. Let's all make this happen, Ottawa!

Sara Pishva
PISHVAatGMAILdotcom

2 Comments:

Anonymous Rob Y said...

Had a great time Sara, here's that photo I was talking about.

A quiet confederation park

I should have used a flash!

Rob

5:43 PM

 
Anonymous nick said...

I'm sorry to hear that dec. was so small but hooray to you four for keeping the fires burning! I was away this month but we'll be out in force in jan. I'm sure of it. Stay safe and keep pedalling, see you on the road!

3:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home