We ride the last Friday of every month all year round. Meet at confederation park (elgin and laurier) at 5:30, ride leaves at 6pm!

This is a team blog. To join the team (and get access to post and/or administer the site), email criticalmassottawa@gmail.com

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Mitch Brogan

"Biodiesel" Mitch Brogan, who Critical Massed with us all Winter and through part of Summer, was mowed down by a drunk driver in London, Ont where he now lives. London Commons has a post about it with more details, including how to send support.

As many of you already know, London activist and London Commons member Mitch Brogan was hit by a drunk driver while riding his bike last week. His was badly injured and has been in critical condition over the last week. At first because of some sort of a miscommunication we thought that his injuries were substantially worse, but today we have good news.

His neck was broken and he risked being paralysed from the neck down. Yesterday he started moving his arms around, but the doctors said that he had only a 10% chance of using his legs.


I'm probably going to go visit him in a couple of weeks when he's allowed to see people.

I'm so sad about this. Mitch has been such a good friend and lover to me since I met him a year ago.

I don't know if I'm going to be avilable for September's Critical Mass. I know I'm not the only friend he has here, so maybe someone would like to pass a card around to get signed or something?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really sad to hear about this. Mitch is a very inspiring, dedicated and charming guy... If a few people want a ride to London to visit him in a few weeks, let me know and I can drive you there (taking the bus can be stupidly expensive). Or, if I can help in any other way, let me know.

Take care,
Heather (star.fangled.nut@gmail.com)

12:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad to hear this too. We should dedicate all our masses to him tomorrow.

And it is scary for all of us to hear about this... it could have been any of us.

Please send him our best too Gwen. We will try to send a card.

Naomi and Nick

12:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez it sucks that there's only 1% chance he'll use his legs again.

any news about what's going on with the drunk driver, fines, jailtime, etc?

in any case, best of luck to him for his arms though... if he can use them, maybe we could raise money for a handcycle?

10:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evan Here-

I was talking to some other CM- and we should defiently have a speach for mitch atht next CM.

Secondly-
some CMers- have mentioned that it would be a good idea- to get an old bike frame- and liek other CM- have a kind of memorial for a dedicated CMer like mitch.
if anyone is interested in helping paiting a frame- or has materials- such as lock- paints as well as location ideas post it here
or email me at vandal@resist.ca

1:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home