We ride the last Friday of every month all year round. Meet at confederation park (elgin and laurier) at 5:30, ride leaves at 6pm!

This is a team blog. To join the team (and get access to post and/or administer the site), email criticalmassottawa@gmail.com

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Fixed

I am thinking of building a fixed gear bike, hopefully to be serviceable while winter's still going since they seem like a good idea in the snow. Does anyone know where I can find good illustrated instructions?

Also what kind of hub is best and where should I get it? I am looking to do this as cheaply as possible although it'll probably end up being my most expensive bike. Can someone whose done this tell me how much I can expect to spend? Everything I find is in american dollars.

If I can get ANY bike together for tomorrow I will see youse then, but I'm not sure that's going to happen at this rate....

Cheers!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In terms of a hub, you can either get an actual track (fixed gear) hub, or you can make a 'suicide hub', by essentially gluing a cog onto a non-track hub. I think the only stores in Ottawa that sell track hubs (that I know of) are the Phat Moose (which is awesome) and JoMama. I bought a generic track hub from the Moose for $45 but I think that's about as cheap as you'll find. The cog is another $15 or so, new. And you'll need a lockring, which is around $10. If you want to make a suicide hub (which, in my opinion, is not actually suicidal if you're running a brake), then I can give you the hub and cog (care of Rob) :D ...but then you would have to build up wheels. Which is fun! Do you have a frame you can use?

The important thing to look for in frames is that the dropouts (the place where the rear wheel attaches) is horizontal. As in, you can adjust the wheel forwards and backwards, rather then up and down. Also you want to have chainrings that come apart, so you can take off the one(s) you're not using. You could pick up a single speed chain too ($15-ish?).

Regardless, you should be able to do it on the cheap! If you want, I can help out anyway I can. We seem to have a lot of frames and stuff kicking around.

Also, I'm sure we have a bike you can use tomorrow.

Cheers,
Heather

12:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spacing depends of the frame. You can get a track hub anywhere. Most bike shops will need to order it in. I suggest buying one off ebay.

1:18 PM

 
Blogger maneuver said...

Hi there,
I just started looking into fixed gear bikes because I want something simple and effective for moving through the city; the fixed gear appears to be a suitable option. Am I correct?
Is it taboo for a non-courier individual to sport one of those bikes? How much edge must one possess in order to 'bust a move' on the fixed gear?
Thanks.

8:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol hahaha no 'edge' at all............

,rishi

9:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poop

6:10 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

How do I get a hold of Heather?! :) I'm looking to build a fixie too but im still looking for a frame (55-57). If anyone has any good leads please let me know. Thanks,

-H

6:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home